Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The {strange} color of music

On Christmas day morning I was out driving around 6:30AM to pick my MIL from E-City. I turned on the radio and heard the usual lot of film music doing the rounds on the air waves. As I reached 91.9 MHz, I heard a bhajan. Now this was a 24 hour strictly English/western-only songs channel. Was there some mistake ? I tuned to a different channel and came back. No change - same bhajan on Lord Hanuman !
On Christmas day, I was expecting 'Jingle Bells' or some christmas carols and not bhajans on this channel. For the past 2 weeks they had been playing Christmas songs but on Christmas day they were playing devotional music of a different kind.

To explain this as the effect of Modi's victory in Gujarat would be too far fetched. So what else could be the reason for this strange color of music ?

No comments: