Sunday, December 23, 2007

94 Down - Angry with everybody (for e.g.) for a puzzle ? (9)

Crossword. Yes that was the answer to the clue (created by yours truly :) in title of the post. December 21st was the 94th anniversary of the crossword puzzle. To quote Wikipedia -

On December 21, 1913, Arthur Wynne, a Liverpool journalist, published a "word-cross" puzzle in the New York World that embodied most of the features of the genre as we know it. This puzzle is frequently cited as the first crossword puzzle, and Wynne as the inventor.

I had been seeing crossword puzzles from the time I had been reading newspapers. But mostly ignoring them as some black and white squares with cryptic clues that only English pundits would have any chance of filling up.
My interest in them was kindled in the third year at IISc - our combinatorics course professor, cevm, was infatuated with them. He gave us a crossword at the end of the course whose puzzles were combinatorial problems and solutions were numbers ! We could solve them but right answers did not contribute to the final grade. I had bought the first of 'Art of Computer Programming' books few months back and was pleasantly surprised to find a problem in the book that required generating a crossword puzzle given a description of the grids. The program had to be written in MIX - I wrote one in Perl that generated a Postscript file instead of just a matrix of 0's and 1's. I even sent the program to Knuth's email id - I was so thrilled at having solved at least 1 problem from the great book. I was even more thrilled to get a response back !! It was not from the Don himself but one of his students who replied saying that the next edition of the book would have the problem modified requiring postscript output. That was something.
I still did not get to solving crosswords. It was only a couple of years later when I got a job and was living couple of friends that I got my first taste of actually solving these puzzles. Sonal was my crossword guru - he taught me some of the hidden pointers in the clues that helped get to the right word. We worked on the crosswords from The Hindu. Many a 'aha' moments were experienced while wasting hours bent over the folded newspaper with blunt pencils. The crossword bug had bitten me and I am affected till date.

I have never been able to completely solved a newspaper crossword yet. I did manage to win a prize for completing a crossword puzzle at workplace - I had to use the Internet to solve some of the clues.
I also try to exercise 'my little gray cells' on the Sunday crossword - they are much more cryptic but cracking even one of the clues feels great.

Amateur cruciverbalist - I can gladly call myself that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.