Thursday, August 30, 2007

Four lanes of misery

Yet another day. The same story repeats on these city roads. I am one such road. Countless vehicles seem to be using to reach somewhere. But many a times they are just stuck in the same place. There is a semblance of progress once in a while but it takes quite sometime before everyone has moved forward a bit. The situation is much like the nation's itself is what I gather from conversations of some occupants of a vehicle plying on me.

There are vehicles of all shapes and sizes. The ones on two wheels seem to be moving like ants around the giant old trees that were once along my sides. Vehicles on the left lanes seem to be moving the fast inspite of being the wrong lanes to overtake. Again a reflection of the state of the nation itself is what I gather from few other travellers using me.

All these vehicles make an awful lot of noise as well. Most of the noise is supposed to be coming from their 'horns'. Kind of funny since some of the cattle that occasionally manage to come over me also have these things called 'horns' but they never made any noise apart from their usual bovine chatter.

The whole procession looks like a giant millipede heaving itself across a vast expansive desert. Just because the tail section can see the head moving forward, it becomes impatient and starts using its 'horns', conveniently forgetting that there is still a middle section that has to move as well before it gets a chance ! How silly.

"Oh Traveller" I bemoaned, " I seem to be leading you all somewhere but I never seem to reach anywhere. I feel miserable".

"Oh Road ! is that you ?" replied the travellers in chorus.
"We never knew you had feelings and not just potholes" wondered the travellers.

The travellers continued in chorus -

"The misery is equally ours - all the four lanes of it."
"We all seem to be taking the road to somwhere but actually go nowhere !"


No comments: