Friday, September 7, 2007

Simon & Garfunkel Test

I had realized it the first time I tried it. The feeling was reinforced when I did it the second time last week. I am talking about listening to Simon & Garfunkel (S&G) while driving on city roads. It just doesn't work.

The best place and time to listen to the soothing melodies of S&G are sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon'. Not amidst the hustle and bustle of the city traffic where people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening, go about in their mindless chaotic paths. There are frequent meeting of bodies, of vehicles that is, and more than a new niceties are exchanged. Do they ever feel that all my words come back to me, in shades of mediocrity. Probably not.

The noise of the engine within the car also does'nt help - even with the windows rolled up.
I hereby propose a new test for automobiles - to see how 'silent' their interiors can be.
  1. Roll up the windows
  2. Start the car up and move up to 60 kmph speed
  3. Start playing Scarborough Fair and note down the complete lyrics
  4. If you get all of the song, the automobile passes the test.
Crazy, you might say. Crazy it is driving through all this madness. So I thought S&G might help but I was proved wrong twice.

Honk !! Honk !! Honk !!

Disturb the sounds of silence

Possibly one of the biggest ironies of life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the scar. fair challenge is tough. more so, given that the S&G arrangement is actually two separate songs SF and Canticle :-)